On this day in football history - 3rd March
Birthdays / Born on this day - 3rd March
- 1922 - Nándor Hidegkuti. He scored a hat-trick in the "Match of the Century" as that great Hungarian side crushed England 6:3 at Wembley in 1953.
- 1947 - Óscar Tabárez.
- 1953 - Zico. Brazilian football legend of the late 1970s and 1980s. What a player. Best known for his time with Flamengo, but also had a great couple of years in Serie A with Udinese.
- 1956 - Zbigniew Boniek. Poland's greatest ever player. He could literally play anywhere in midfield or in attack. Starred for Widzew Lódz, Juventus and Roma.
- 1965 - Dragan "Piksi" Stojkovic. Another classy midfield playmaker of the 1980s. Brilliant at Red Star Belgrade, but was then blighted by knee injuries following his big money move to Marseille.
- 1972 - Darren Anderton.
- 1986 - Mehmet Topal.
Football Events - 3rd March
- 1980 - the San Siro stadium is renamed in honour of legendary player Giuseppe Meazza.
Football Photos - 3rd March