On this day in football history - 17th October
Birthdays / Born on this day - 17th October
- 17th October 1963 Sergio Goycochea. Argentine keeper best known for pre-penalty shootout ritual of urinating on the pitch. Yes, you did read that correctly.
- 17th October 1934 Johny Haynes. Legendary inside-forward for Fulham and England.
- 17th October 1968 Graeme le Saux..
Football Events - 17th October
- 17th October 1907 - Atalanta were formed in the beautiful city of Bergamo, taking its name from a female character in Greek mythology. Nicknamed La Dea (the Goddess), they're one of the most successful provincial teams in Italy.
- 17th October 1919 - Leeds United formed.
- 17th October 1973 - England had to beat Poland in a World Cup qualifier. Jan Tomaszewski, labelled "a clown" by Cloughie, had the last laugh as he saved everything England threw at him in a 1:1 draw.
- 17th October 1995 - 5000 fans and a samba band welcomed Brazil's player of the year, Juninho, to Middlesbrough. What a great signing he turned out to be.
Football Photos - 17th October