On this day in football history - 27th September
Birthdays / Born on this day - 27th September
- 27th September 1941 - Peter Bonetti.
- 27th September 1947 - Dick Advocaat.
- 27th September 1953 - Claudio Gentile. Legendary Italian defender. He was hard. Proper hard.
- 27th September 1956 - Steve Archibald. Terrific striker for the likes of Aberdeen, Spurs, Barcelona and Hibs.
- 27th September 1976 - Francesco Totti.
Football Events - 27th September
- 1st January 1965 - In the New Year's Honours List, Stanley Matthews became the first professional footballer to be awarded a knighthood whilst still a player. The "Wizard of Dribble" was at Stoke City at the time and aged 49. His only league appearance in that 1964-65 season was also his last, against Fulham on 6th February 1965, shortly after celebrating his 50th birthday. Matthews had made his League debut in 1932 and would later say that he thought he could have actually played on for a few more seasons.
Football Photos - 27th September