On this day in football history - 24th January
Birthdays / Born on this day - 24th January
- 24th January 1928 - Tommy Docherty.
- 24th January 1947 - Giorgio Chinaglia. A proper old fashioned centre-forward, the Italian had great spells with Lazio and New York Cosmos. He actually grew up in Wales and was on Swansea's books before moving back to Italy.
- 24th January 1959 - Michel Preud'homme. World-class keeper who had a fantastic career with Belgium, Standard Liège, Mechelen and Benfica, playing until he was 40.
- 24th January 1961 - Guido Buchwald. A World Cup winner in 1990 and a VfB Stuttgart legend - scoring the goal that won them the Bundesliga in 1992. Buchwald did a great job man-marking Maradona in the final of Italia '90 - even getting the nickname "Diego" back in Germany on the back of it.
Football Events - 24th January
- 1955 - Stoke City finally knocked Bury out of the FA Cup. The two clubs had played each other an incredible seven times in one month - twice in the League over Christmas, then five times in the Third Round of the FA Cup after four replays replays, including three on neutral turf at Goodison Park, Anfield and Old Trafford.
- 2000 - The great Rivaldo was named FIFA World Player of the Year, ahead of Beckham, Batistuta, Zidane and Christian Vieri.
Football Photos - 24th January