On this day in football history - 1st October
Birthdays / Born on this day - 1st October
- 1st October 1936 - Duncan Edwards. One of Manchester United's legendary Busby Babes, he would surely have gone on to become one of England's greatest players if he'd not been tragically killed in the Munich air disaster, aged only 21.
- 1st October 1952 - Billy Ashcroft. With his mass of curly hair and his solid moustache, Billy Ashcroft became a cult player for FC Twente after moving there in the early 1980s after long spells with Wrexham and Boro.
- 1st October 1962 - Nico Claesen. Lively little striker who scored three goals in that fine Belgian side as they finished fourth at Mexico '86. Main clubs: VfB Stuttgart, Standard Liège, Tottenham Hotspur and Antwerp.
- 1st October 1962 - Paul Walsh. A skillful forward who was a bit of a boy wonder in his early days with Charlton Athletic and Liverpool. Unfortunately injuries and issues meant he never quite fulfilled his potential with Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur.
- 1st October 1964 - John Sheridan. An unusual sight in British and Irish football back in the early 1990s - a genuine midfield playmaker. Tremendous for the stylish Sheffield Wednesday side of that era.
- 1st October 1966 - George Weah . The Liberian was one of the great forwards of the 1990s, with terrific spells at Monaco, Paris Saint-Germain and Milan. Weah was a Ballon d'Or winner in 1995 and won the African Footballer of the Year Award in 1989, 1994 and 1995.
- 1st October 1967 - Daniel Timofte. The Romanian attacking midfielder is a legend with Samsunspor after six great years with the Turkish club in the 1990s. He also helped make Irish keeper Packie Bonner a World Cup star at Italia '90. Timofte later opened a bar, naming it Penalty.
- 1st October 1976 - Ümit Karan. Turkish striker who became well known for his penchant for sensational goals, particularly volleys and bicycle kicks, during the 1990s and 2000s for Gençlerbirligi and Galatasaray.
- 1st October 1981 - Júlio Baptista. The Brazilian attacking midfielder and forward played for São Paulo, Sevilla, Real Madrid, Arsenal, Roma, Málaga, Cruzeiro, Orlando City and (very briefly) CFR Cluj. He was also well known for his football nickname, 'the Beast'.
- 1st October 1983 - Mirko Vucinic. The Montenegrin forward had fourteen years in Italy with Lecce, Roma and Juventus, claiming two Coppa Italia and three Serie A titles along the way. He was also named as Montenegrin Footballer of the Year seven times in eight years.
Football Events - 1st October
- 1st October 1912 - Cerro Porteño was formed by a group of friends in Asunción, Paraguay. They named the club after the name of a nearby location of a famous battle from 1811.
Football Photos - 1st October