On this day in football history - 8th October
Birthdays / Born on this day - 8th October
- 8th October 1922 Nils Liedholm. Elegant Swedish midfield playmaker, a legend for twelve years at Milan from 1949-61. As a manager he's best known for his time at Roma, guiding them to their 2nd Scudetto in 1983.
- 8th October 1928 Didi. Fantastic Brazilian midfielder/inside-forward who was part of two World Cup winning teams, 1958 and 1962. Renowned for his fantastic passing and technique, his main clubs were Fluminese and Botafogo, but he also had a short spell with Real Madrid.
- 8th October 1934 Gerry Hitchens. He may not be the best known British export to Italy in the 60s, but he certainly did better than most. A great scoring record with Cardiff City and Aston Villa before Inter bought him in 1961. He spent eight years in Italy with Inter, Torino, Atalanta and Cagliari. He also became the first Englishman to represent his country while on the books of a foreign club.
- 8th October 1950 Miguel Ángel Brindisi. Argentine attacking midfielder Miguel Ángel Brindisi was born #OnThisDay in 1950. He was a key part of César Menotti's legendary Huracán side of the 1970s and also formed a great partnership with Diego Maradona at Boca Juniors in the early 80s.
- 8th October 1957 Antonio Cabrini. Legendary left-back for Juventus and a World Cup winner in 1982 with Italy. He's one of only nine players to have won all 3 European club trophies - European Cup, UEFA Cup, UEFA Cup Winners Cup (the nine players were: Cabrini, Scirea, Tardelli, Brio, Tacconi, Gianluca Vialli, Baia, Blind and Muhren).
- 8th October 1960 Ralph Minge. Dynamo Dresden legend who caused many a snigger in the schoolyard.
- 8th October 1968 Ali Bernabia. Tremendous Algerian footballer in the 1990s and 2000s. Bernarbia was a silky midfield playmaker who spent 16 years in France with Martigues, Monaco, Bordeaux and Paris Saint-Germain before Kevin Keegan snapped him up on a free for Manchester City, becoming a huge fan favourite as he helped them to promotion back to the Premier League.
- 8th October 1968 Zvonimir Boban. Fantastic attacking midfielder for Croatia, Dinamo Zagreb and Milan in the 1980s and 90s.
Football Events - 8th October
Football Photos - 8th October