On this day in football history - 4th October
A glove-less Hans van Breukelen, born on this day in 1956, in action for FC Utrecht
back in 1979. ~ Photo: Dutch National Archives
Birthdays / Born on this day - 4th October
- 4th October 1940 - Silvio Marzolini. Regarded as Argentina's greatest left back, he played at 1962 World Cup and World Cup 1966, where he was named in the team of the tournament. He played 12 years with Boca Juniors, winning five Argentinian league titles.
- 4th October 1955 - Jorge Valdano A World Cup winner with Argentina in 1986. And a quality forward for Newell's Old Boys, Alavés, Zaragoza, and finally Real Madrid.
- 4th October 1956 - Hans van Breukelen. Fantastic keeper who won Euro'88 with the Netherlands, as well as six Eredivisie titles and a European Cup with PSV Eindhoven.
- 4th October 1975 - Cristiano Lucarelli.
- 4th October 1976 - Mauro Camoranesi.
- 4th October 1980 - Tomáš Rosický.
Football Events - 4th October
- 4th October 1904 - IFK Göteborg were formed on this day in 1904, at Café Olivedal in the Annedal district of downtown Gothenburg.
- 4th October 1907 - German club Jahn Regensburg, nicknamed "Die Rothosen" (the red shorts), were formed #OnThisDay in 1907.