On this day in football history - 5th October
Birthdays / Born on this day - 5th October
- 5th October 1922 - Jock Stein. The legendary Scottish manager became the first British manager to lift the European Cup, when Celtic beat Inter in 1967. He was also in charge as Celtic claimed nine Scottish League titles in a row, between 1966 and 1974.
- 5th October 1958 - Antonio Di Gennaro. The Italian midfielder was a legend for Verona in the 1980s, starring in the playmaker role for them as they claimed the Serie A title in 1985.
- 5th October 1960 - Careca. A tremendous forward with São Paulo and Napoli. Brilliant for Brazil too, but if only he'd made that 1982 World Cup squad...
- 5th October 1971 - Mauricio Pellegrino. Argentine centre-back with Vélez Sarsfield and Valencia, not to be confused with Italian midefielder Maurizio Pellegrino, or Manuel Pellegrini, the Chilean manager who masterminded Manchester City's Premier League success in 2014
Football Events - 5th October
- 5th October 1973 - The great Mario Kempes made his top-flight debut in Argentina for Instituto de Córdoba. They beat Newell's Old Boys 1:0.
Football Photos - 5th October